Melatonin is a hormone that is secreted in our body only in darkness, hence it is important to have normalized sleep habits and sleep at night. The ketogenic diet: what you should know and its risks. Melatonin is a natural hormone that secretes our body; its functions are innumerable for the proper functioning of life. On the one hand, it coordinates and regulates biological rhythms, in turn participates in neuroendocrine, neurophysiologic processes, also stimulates our immune system…
“Melatonin is the most powerful known endogenous antioxidant, whose therapeutic applications are innumerable…”
The pineal gland is the body structure that produces melatonia, a structure already known in ancient Greece and Rome and which they used to call “The seat of the soul”. There the psychic and somatic processes are activated. And they were not wrong, because the pineal gland controls all the neuroendocrine centers of the hypothalamus.
Melatonin is therefore a hormone with wonderful properties that is secreted only at night and that we can also find in many of our usual foods. But let’s first see what all its interesting virtues are.
Its sedative action regulates our biological cycles. It has been proven that in cases of insomnia, its exogenous administration causes people to fall asleep when administering it.
Its ability to maintain tissues in good condition and protect us from free radicals is greater than any other endogenous or exogenous element, even more than glutathione or vitamin E. Hence, many investigations are intended to investigate possible cures for Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s…
Protector of the Immune System
Thanks to its properties we defend ourselves better against situations of stress and viral diseases. In turn, it also protects us from the passage of time and aging… That is to say, if we maintain our melatonin at a good level through a correct diet and a healthy life, we can benefit from its qualities.
Balance Emotional Disorders
Especially in people who suffer problems due to changes in time and season. In cases of menopausal women it is very important to regulate their melatonin levels. Well, during this time of his life is very common insomnia, mood swings … Therefore, regulating your levels of melatonia will undoubtedly improve your rest and emotional balance?
It Helps to Lose Weight and Produces Good Fat
Scientists have discovered that melatonin effectively regulates weight gain. It stimulates the appearance of ‘ beige fat ‘, fat cells that burn calories live instead of storing them. Unlike white adipose tissue, which does store those calories and causes weight gain, beige fat (known as ‘good fat or slimming’) helps regulate weight control and, therefore, its metabolic benefits.
In What Foods can we Find Melatonin?
- Cherries: Natural source of melatonin, in addition to important Vitamin A, C and E.
- Nuts: Its habitual consumption – for example in the mornings – considerably increases our levels of melatonin; in 1 g of nuts we obtain 3.4 ng of this hormone.
- Mustard: Besides being perfect for a slimming diet, it contains a very acceptable level of melatonin.
- Almonds: Ideal source of energy and whose composition also includes this important hormone.
- Bananas: Excellent source of potassium, which in addition to taking care of our health provides us with an adequate amount of very optimal melatonin to function as a natural sedative.
- Goji Berries: In addition to melatonin, it has a high content of carotenoids, providing good antioxidant properties. It also contains essential fatty acids such as linoleic acid that promotes the loss of fat. Very recommendable.
- Tomatoes: In addition to having a diuretic, antioxidant effect, eliminating uric acid and cholesterol, tomatoes are a very good source of melatonin from which we can benefit naturally. Do not stop including them in your diet.
Also point out that, as you already know, melatonin is a hormone that is secreted in our body only in darkness. Therefore, you should never neglect your rest… Relax and let our body work on its own, always accompanying it with an adequate diet. Melatonin is a wonderful ally of our health that you should not neglect.